Michael Markham, LMSW
A recent graduate from the University of Iowa's School of Social Work, Michael's career as a therapist builds on previous work with adolescents in a residential setting, and several years working in Information Technology.
"My approach to therapy is to team up with the client to create a safe space in which therapy can be facilitated within a collaborative framework. I see therapy as a team effort, and adapt my approach to best fit the needs of the client. My focus is on helping my clients to resolve or reduce the impact their problems have on their daily functioning so they can live their best life. I believe this can be accomplished by utilizing strengths that already exist within the client to create and achieve realistic short and long term goals."
- Therapy with children, adolescents, and adults
- Group and family therapy
- Work with veterans and active duty soldiers
- Depression and anxiety
- Developing resilience
- Finding ones meaning and purpose in life
- Short-term collaborative problem solving
- Challenging traditional views on masculinity
- Clinical hypnosis
License, Education and Memberships
- Licensed Master Social Worker, licensed to practice in the state of Iowa
- Member of the American Society of Clinical Hypnosis
- Master of Social Work from The University of Iowa
- Bachelor's of Social Work from Mount Mercy University
- United States Army Infantry School, Fort Benning, Georgia
Michael's personal interests include weight lifting, martial arts, and history (particularly ancient Mediterranean and 18th-20th century American/World history), as well as video and tabletop games. A huge reader and writer, he is a self-identified sci-fi/fantasy geek, and appreciates good poetry.
- UIChoice, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna, Anthem, Health Alliance Medical Plans (HAMP), HealthPartners, Health Smart, Humana/Choice Care, Medical Associates Health Plan (MAHP), Medica Insure, Midlands Choice, TRICARE, UnitedHealthcare
- Medicaid: Amerigroup Iowa and Iowa Total Care