Sandy Healey, LISW, IAADC
Vulnerability is not winning or losing; it’s having the courage to show up and be seen where we have no control over the outcome. Vulnerability is not weakness; it’s our greatest measure of courage. Vulnerability is strength. -- Dr. Brené Brown
"I believe that one primary role for a counselor is to hold on to hope when you believe there is no hope and to help people find strength and courage in times of vulnerability. When people consider seeking out a therapist to talk about what is bothering them or with what may be going on in their lives, often it is because they have begun to feel lost, or alone, or confused. And also when facing hard things like divorce, death of a loved one, addiction, trouble at work, difficulty sleeping and constant worry. Life is and can be quite hard. You don’t have to walk through it alone.
In my career I have worked with people struggling with addiction, grief, divorce, anxiety, depression, trauma, legal problems and criminal histories, behavioral concerns, family and relationship issues, and low self-esteem. My therapy includes Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), Seeking Safety (trauma & addiction), Motivational Interviewing, mindfulness and meditation. If you are experiencing any of the above concerns my hope is that we can sit together in a safe place and we can work to find a solution together."
License, Education and Training
- Licensed Independent Social Worker, licensed to practice in the state of Iowa
- International Advanced Alcohol and Drug counselor (IAADC), certified to practice in the state of Iowa
- Master of Social Work from Western Michigan University
- Bachelor of Science in Social Work from Iowa State University
- UIChoice, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Anthem, Health Alliance Medical Plans (HAMP), HealthPartners, Health Smart, Humana/Choice Care, Medica Insure, Medical Associates Health Plan (MAHP), Medicare, Midlands Choice, TRICARE, UnitedHealthcare, Veterans Affairs Community Care Network (VA CCN)
- Medicaid: Amerigroup Iowa, Iowa Total Care, and United Healthcare Community Plan