Trisha Maulson Dean, LMFT
Trisha Maulson Dean is a licensed marriage and family therapist who works with individuals and groups, particularly with children, adolescents, and couples. She collaborates with clients to identify the approach that is most helpful to them in addressing their concerns, such as play therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, mindfulness, trauma-informed approaches, and more.
Trisha's specialization in play therapy enables her to work with children and families to communicate feelings and resolve conflict. She provides a safe place to work with you on your individual needs, and takes an objective perspective.
“We each take a unique path through life. For this reason, I believe in using a strengths based, collaborative and individualized approach. As a therapist, I'm here to help you uncover the solutions you already have. I use a variety of approaches including narrative, mindfulness, cognitive behavior therapy, play therapy, solution focused, and trauma informed approaches.
I have worked with concerns related to anxiety, depression, ADHD, ODD, conduct disorder, reactive attachment disorder, bipolar disorder, adjustment disorder, autism spectrum disorder, intellectual disorders, and behavioral concerns.”
Play Therapy Specialization
Trisha's early career focused on working with teens. She often found herself wishing her adolescent clients could have had the opportunity to learn certain skills much earlier in their lives, believing that doing so could have lessened many of the difficulties they came to face as teens. This led Dean to seek opportunities to work with younger children and their families.
“Play is the language kids use. They show us rather than tell us about their feelings and experiences.” When she and her young clients communicate via play therapy, it provides an effective, age-appropriate way for her to teach them skills that help them navigate their challenges.
Since there are not many preventative behavioral health programs for young people, Trisha believes it can be helpful to start therapy and learning earlier in life, to encourage resiliency and help children learn to cope better with trauma.
Education and Training
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, licensed to practice in the state of Iowa
- Registered Play Therapist (RPT) through the Association for Play Therapy, and trained under Terry Kottman, PhD
- Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy from Saint Mary's University of Minnesota
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from Loras College, in Dubuque, Iowa
- AAMFT (American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy) Member
- UIChoice, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Anthem, Health Alliance Medical Plans (HAMP), HealthPartners, Health Smart, Humana/Choice Care, Medical Associates Health Plan (MAHP), Medica Insure, Midlands Choice, TRICARE, UnitedHealthcare, Veterans Affairs Community Care Network (VA CCN)
- Medicaid: Amerigroup Iowa and Iowa Total Care